Friday, July 10, 2009

Making "The Orphan" a Blockbuster

"It must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own."

I heard that line at the end of the preview for The Orphan and it made me cringe and seeth and in the middle of a crowded movie theatre, I shouted: "No it isn't, ASSHOLES!!!"

I had thoughts of boycotts and tersely written letters and blog hammerings, but then I started to wonder why I would dedicate the effort.

Speaking as a horror movie junkie, I am well aware that the majority of these movies get precious little hype and sneak away quietly after a weekend and end up in the previously viewed bin for $3.99, just 2 months later.

The Orphan would be no different.

Now of course, the adoptive parents, prospective adoptive parents, adoptees and first parents who have been so angered by yet another potrayal of a damaged adoptee, have pretty much guaranteed Warner Bros. some HUGE bank.

And I would be holding the picket sign along with them.

But not now.

Why?

It's JUST A MOVIE!!!!

If it were a documentary or a study... something based on science... something damaging based on untruths spouted by psuedo professionals.

Nope, I imagine a couple of people sat in a room and said we need to make some money and the best way to do that would not be to waste time on plot. This is a formulaic story with nothing new here. The only innovation is in the amount of money this movie will make... because of us.

Well, not me. Not anymore.

Don't boost crap, people.

One word: Eminem.

No comments:

Post a Comment